Fermented Curtido Recipe
Lacto-fermented curtido is a great starter recipe for fermented food beginners.
- 1 large cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 cup carrots, grated
- 2 medium onions, quartered lengthwise and very finely sliced
- 1 tablesoon dried oregano
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoon sea salt
- In a large bowl mix cabbage with carrots, onions, oregano, red chile flakes, and sea salt.
- Pound with a wooden pounder or a meat hammer for abou 10 minutes to release juices.
- Place in 2 quart-sized, wide mouth mason jars and press down firmly with a pounder or meat hammer until juices come to the top of the cabbage. The top of the cabbage mixture should be at least 1 inch below the top of the jars. Use of a bpa free glass fermentation weight is recommended.
- Cover tightly and keep at room temperature for about 3 days before transferring to cold storage. If the batch is not ready per taste, let it ferment longer.
Let us know how you like our fermented curtido recipe!